Thursday, June 30, 2011

My Kids

This whole experience with Sayde has given me a new appreciation for each of my children. First of all, I feel like I can understand and appreciate their uniqueness better than ever before. I guess when I decided to have kids, I thought they would be just like me. When Bryson showed no interest in being the best on the team, or found no satisfaction in finishing as many workbooks as possible, or could care less if he made his sister cry I was shocked. They were all suppose to be dedicated overachievers who wanted nothing more than to please their parents. How were my parents so lucky!!! And why did all the clones of me go to my brother??? Each child is different. When we choose to have children, we really never know what we are going to get. What we will get, undoubtedly, is a education in love, patience, understanding, and personal growth. My children have taught me so much. They are each amazing and, thankfully, not clones of me. My favorite time is when I go into their rooms when they are sleeping and kiss them goodnight and stare at their beautiful faces.

It amazes me how my children have seemed to adjust seamlessly to our move, our unsettled living arrangements, and all of these complicated issues, which I discuss on a daily basis with all of them. Not only are they managing or adjusting, but in many circumstances they seem to be thriving. Bryson hasn't batted an eye at the transition into his new school. His social behaviour and reading skills have actually begun to improve. Breya, as always, continues to make friends where ever she goes (except with Bryson). She told me the other day that she always makes a friend everywhere she goes. "I may not know their name and we may not actually say that we are friends, but I just know they are my friend and we play together." Keaton hasn't had any setbacks in his amazing potty training, which I did in the throws of our move. I feel very grateful and blessed for these little miracles.

All of my children have a special love for Sayde. Keaton repeats his catch phrase for Sayde again an again - "Hold me, hug me, don't let me go." Bryson loves to hug Sayde aka my belly. Keaton often tried to look into my distorted belly button to see Sayde and asks for her to come out. Breya is just happy that there will now be 3 girls and 3 boys in the family (including Brendon and I) and that she won't have to share a room with Keaton anymore.

Breya makes sure that Sayde is blessed in every prayer or blessing on the food. Keaton has begun to pray that everyone's brains will grow. Bryson has begun to pray for other small miracles that he feels are needed - like that dad will find the library DVD we lost.

Children can teach us so much. I am so grateful for each of mine. They are not perfect, but they are mine.

1 comment:

  1. Liza - I am glad that you are able to blog about everything as a way for us who are so far away to know what's going on. You so open with this, and I genuinely love the way you write. I hope you keep going with it after Sayde is born. I loved this post about your kids. It is just crazy that Bryson and Breya are so big!!! You and your family remain in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete